Student Leadership Centre
9th Annual LEAP Conference July 5th - 7th, 2013
LEAP: A weekend conference for incoming Laurier students!
The first year of university is a special time and one of significant transition for students. If you are excited (and maybe a little nervous) about beginning life at Laurier, the LEAP Conference is definitely for you!
Check out the feedback from past LEAP participants…
· “I had a fantastic time! I can’t wait for September now. LEAP was a fantastic way to get a jump start on becoming part of the Laurier family.”
· “This weekend was an awesome way to meet new people and get comfortable on campus.”
· “Any doubts, fears, or apprehensions I had about coming to Laurier are gone!”
· “Great introduction to life at university!”
Designed to prepare incoming first-year students for the wonderful world of Laurier, LEAP is a fun-filled weekend conference that gives student participants a jump-start on life at university. Participation in LEAP helps build a foundation for meaningful student involvement, healthy behaviours, academic success, awareness and comfort on campus, personal growth and development, and self-reliance. All this before classes even begin!
Leadership * Engagement * Academic Success * Purpose
LEAP Participants can expect to…
· Hear from inspiring and motivating keynote speakers
· Make new friends
· Experience living in residence
· Build relationships with staff and faculty
· Develop a personal plan for their first-year and beyond
· Engage in team-building and leadership development activities
· Feel comfortable on campus before move-in day
· Identify important support networks and services on campus
· Learn how to make positive and healthy decisions
· Participate in workshops designed to foster reflection and growth
· Develop mentoring relationships with senior students
· Discover tools and practices to encourage academic success
· Learn how to get involved in a balanced and meaningful way at Laurier
· Understand what it means to be a Laurier leader
Message for Parents & Guardians: We know what an important role you play as part of your student’s support network. For that reason, part of the LEAP Conference is designed specifically for you! Please join us on Sunday July 7th at 3:30pm for a parent/guardian reception hosted by the Dean of Students. The Dean would like to personally welcome you to the Laurier family and share some thoughts on how you can best support your student during their university transition.
Check out parent feedback…
“Our daughter came back to us a different person it seems! She now has so much more confidence in herself and her future at Laurier. Her first words to us were "I wish I was starting tomorrow" and then she didn’t stop talking all the way home about her experiences over the weekend! I don’t think I have ever seen her so energized and enthusiastic about anything! Attending this conference was far out of her comfort zone and she was very nervous and apprehensive about going. I want to thank your team for providing a safe environment for her to learn, experience, confide and grow."
Location: Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo Campus
When: Friday July 5th, 5pm – Sunday July 7th, 4pm 2013
Cost: $220 + tax (includes 6 meals, 2 nights accommodation, t-shirt & programming)
Registration opens April 1st, 2013 and closes June 24th, 2013*
*Registration is limited to the first 150 students. Registration may close earlier if spaces are filled.
Once redirected, please click on "Current Events" to find the LEAP Conference 2013 registration page as of April 1st, 2013.
If you are a Laurier Brantford student please register here
Please note: This is a 3 day conference for incoming first year students, and is different from the LEAP day camps run through the Faculty of Education. Please contact Andrea Swinson at extension 3173 or email@example.com for more information on LEAP camps.